Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th of July in Uganda... and farewell...

Who would have thought that the 4th of July in Uganda could be so good. We spent our Independence Day Celebration at the American Embassy in Kampala. I felt like I walked right into America when we entered the place and it was a great pick me up and reminder of back home. I have come to love Uganda, unsanitary conditions and all, but I felt a great sense of patriatism as we spent the evening with other Muzungu's from America.

They had an American bbq, or at least as close to one as possible with the food available here. They also had cultural dancing, drums, performances from the kids of the Embassy workers and to top the night off, we had a great firework show!! We specially requested the "I'm proud to be an American" song, which they played during the show. It brought me to tears immediatly. I don't know if I have ever truly been so proud to be an American.

As for an update on what type of work I have been doing, the work has been eclectic depending on the day. Kim and I have been in charge of the teacher trainings for four different schools. We are finishing up the last training at all of the schools this week and the teachers are receiving a certificate of completion. I am amazed at how excited they are to receive the certificate.

In our spare time, we have been helping out a ton preparing for a week long Eye Camp we are doing. We are providing free eye services to three different hospital areas for three days each. So many people here have eye problems and they can't afford to do anything. We have partnered with an organization that is helping to provide eye surgery's, eye glasses and screening for anyone who comes in on certain given days. It has been a lot of work preparing for, but I am so excited about it!

I also have been helping with an agriculture school project where we are helping a school take the information they teach and make it applicable by teaching students how to cultivate crops and what not. This will also act as a way to generate income for their school.

I can't believe my time in Uganda is almost over. I have less than two weeks. I most likely will not post again while I am here seeing how slow the computers go and you are charged for every minute. However, pictures will come next!

Waylaba for now!! (Luganan for goodbye...)

No comments:

Post a Comment