Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring Break Family Camp Out



For spring break, I went with some of my family down to Canyonlands for a three night camp out. We hiked through horseshoe canyon (which is the canyon where Aron Ralston cut off his arm) and found some totally sweet Pre-Anasazi Indian hyroglyphics dating to over 2,000 years ago. We also saw a dinosaur trace fossil. I have taught about fossils and Anasazi Indians in my class this year, so I had a great time showing my students some of the photos and telling them how I was able to become an archeologist and a paleontologist over the break.


The kids had an absolute time of their lives. They were such good sports and were sad to go home. Over the three days, we went through Little Wild Horse Canyon (slot canyons) and we went to Goblin Valley State Park. We went to Goblin Valley and played for hours during the day (kick the can, sardines, hide and go seek...). Then we went back in the evening with a full moon and flashlights. So much fun!




Little Wild Horse Canyon


Goblin Valley

We camped on BLM land, so we were able to make a fire and cook smores.

1 comment: