Sunday, September 6, 2009

First Triathlon


I completed my first triathlon up at Bear Lake last weekend... sort of. I can't take credit for completing the whole thing on my own because I had a relay team and I just did the biking portion of the race. However, it was still a triathlon and I loved it! This was the first time for me to race my road bike and I think I'm hooked.



This is Jake. He was our swimmer. He also works for Alpine School District as an English teacher and he helps in coaching the swim team. I met Jake at the grocery store a few years ago... yes, the grocery store. Jake and I became friends at Maceys!



This is Nick. He was our runner. Nick has been in my ward for the last year. He used to run for BYU and he is a phenomenal runner.

My roommate Cherise is the one who invited me to do the triathlon. She and her brother did the full Olympic on their own. I thought it would be fun to join them, so Cherise, her brother Dallas, his wife Natalie, Jake, Nick and I left for Bear Lake Friday afternoon. We stayed the night at a cabin there so that we could get to the race start nice and early. This is a photo of Jake, Cherise, Nick and I just before the swim was about to start.



For triathlons, one has to be marked. The race officials take permanent markers and write your race number on both sides of your arm. They then write your race category and age on your legs. I didn't know this was how it was done, but we thought it was really funny. Here is Cherise and I at the end, showing our team numbers. They had already started to wear off by this point.



My relay team ended up taking first out of all the other team entries! We were pretty excited. Jake had to swim 1 mile, I had to ride 25 miles and Nick had to run 6 miles. We finished in 2:21.33. We were very pleased with our time and placing, especially when we found out that we beat the second place team by 10 minutes! I want to try a sprint triathlon on my own someday, now that I know how the exchanges work and things like that. I just wish I liked to swim more. Here are a few more photos.

Here is the exchange between Jake and I. He is trying to get the timing chip off his ankle so he could pass off to me. Ironic that there is a Macey's sign in the background! Ha ha....

There I go... 25 miles to go...

Here is Cherise on the bike

Done and done...

A group shot before we took off to head home


What a great experience!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed with how athletic you've become! I remember in college when we lived together and you were just starting running. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just to remind you that I read your blog...You're fantastic Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!!! Just another reason why you are my hero.

    I really want to do the Women of Steel sprint Triathlon next spring. Training is tricky with Anna so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I know Jake...I think he was in my program with me! How random!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, oooooh, Can I do the Women of Steel sprint Triathlon next spring as well? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I'm freaking out! Hey Jessie so I am Laura's sister-in-law who married Nathan. I found your blog from Laura's blog and now I can't believe you and Cherise Burk are roomies. She was my roommate at BYU-I and I love her SO much she is the best you are so lucky and she is lucky to have you too obv. Please say a huge hi for me we miss her!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awesome! I'm impressed with all that you are doing Jessie. I'd love to try a triathalon but I stinking sink in the water when I try to swim. Maybe I'll jump on the team bandwagon and try it thataway. I'll make my husband do the swimming part!

    ReplyDelete