Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I keep moving, moving....

I have relaxed a lot over the last few years of teaching. I hate to admit it, but I think I was kind of a dictator my first few years... Don't get me wrong, I still keep very strict order, I'm just not afraid to be spontaneous and have fun anymore.

Take today's science lesson for example. We were doing a review for our Science test on the "Water Cycle." I have a "water Cycle" rap song that I decided to share with them as part of the review. We went over the words to the song as a shared read before I let them hear the music. As soon as I turned the music on, they all naturally started bobbing their heads and swaying their shoulders. I asked them if they wanted to get up and dance. There was a unanimous YES!! So we decided to have a little class dance, right then and there, stopping only to sing the chorus...

"I rise to the air from the sea below, then down to the ground as rain and snow, I keep moving, moving, cause I'm the water cycle... moving, moving, cause I"m the water cycle."

My favorite was when even my shy quiet girls were demonstrating the water cycle with their arms as they grooved to the beat. Yes, they demonstrated, evaporation, precipitation and they had a special move they created for every time the song said "water cycle."

I love being a teacher.

5 comments:

  1. I even bobbed my head and had a beat going to that rap....I'll never fail another water cycle test again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW FUN!!!!! I totally agree...I have eased up so much over my years of teaching. I am much more relaxed and fun, and I think that makes me a better teacher. Those first few years, I think I was subconsciously afraid that I would lose control if I let them see my true personality...now, I feel like I am myself all the time, and somehow I still maintain control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! The "Rock Cycle" song is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so fun! Moments like that make teaching worth it!

    ReplyDelete