Monday, June 6, 2011

No way...



I went to a movie the other night and as I was walking out I heard a voice say "Miss Jensen". I was a little confused at this because I teach in south Orem, not the Pleasant Grove area, so I figured it couldn't have been one of my recent students. The voice didn't sound familiar...I turned and immediately recognized the face behind the voice. It was one of my students from my first year of teaching eight years ago. His voice had changed quite a bit since I last seen him, as had his appearance. While I used to be about a foot taller than him, he is now 6'2! I hadn't seen him since he was in fourth grade and he just finished his junior year. I know... it's hard to believe that my first year students will be graduating next year. That ages me a bit... ha ha!

I was SO happy to see him. Just last week I randomly ran into his dad who also recognized me and came up and gave me a big hug. I was thrilled that he remembered me and he was willing to call out to me even though I was in the midst of a large group.

It is times like this that make teaching all worth it. It is the best job in the world. I had a special spot in my heart for this particular student and seeing him truly made not just my day, but my year!

1 comment:

  1. So awesome!!!! What a special moment! I love that! I always hope that I'll see a former student whenever we're in Utah, but it hasn't happened yet. Plus, they are in middle school now, so they're probably too cool to talk to me anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete