Sunday, June 7, 2009

The long awaited Havasupi



I have wanted to go to Havasupi Falls for years. However, in order to go, one must make a reservation close to 6 months in advance. This year Annie and I decided to take initiative and make the reservation! We invited six friends to join us in our adventure.

One can be helicoptered in or pay to ride a mule, but we chose to hike. We filled up our packs, made the 12 hour drive to Arizona and hiked the 10 miles into the falls. We spent two wonderful days swimming and hiking and enjoying the beautiful surroundings. We were a part of the first group that were allowed in since the falls have been closed due to a flash flood and swine flu precautions.

The falls themselves were incredibly beautiful as you can see from the photos, but the camping ground area was hit pretty hard by the flood and was pretty barren. It looked like a refugee camp. We filmed a pretty funny video... very funny. Bud Corbin on sight...There was one spring that everyone went to for their water, which is also shown in the video. (You can find the video at the end of all the photos)

We found a more personalized camping spot that was away from the majority of other campers. We spent three days cooking great meals, hiking, sleeping, playing frisbee and speed scrabble, swimming, exploring and the list goes on. It was one of the best adventure trips I have yet to experience and I have been on a lot of adventures in my day. We all enjoyed being together and after four days of constant togetherness, I think everyone was still sad to part their separate ways. We already have a reunion planned and a second adventure together is in the workings...

Here are some of my favorite photos in no apparent order:

This sign made us appear to be extra adventurous


A view at sunrise just as we were descending into the canyon


Posing just down the river from Mooney Falls


Playing in the falls... YMCA anyone?


Just the girls (Annie, Cherise, Jessie and Lani)


The group at Mooney Falls


The Beautiful Havasu Falls


Taking a plunge from off the tree swing...


Cooking ourselves a yummy dinner using our trusty camping stoves


If you look close, you can see a game of frisbee going on...


We couldn't help but take a picture by this sign...


Below is the video on-site at the refugee camp... pay attention to Ian and his "shaky legs". What a trip!

5 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun. I've never done anything like this before. I am a fud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie that is so awesome. I am going to hire you as my "personal adventure assistant" you can take me on all these cool adventures and tell me what places are fun to explore. I love the YMCA waterfall pic, you got some great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. You are a stud. You go girl. Loved the photos; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. your blog exhausts me. You are always on the go. You are awesome. Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessie - you don't know me... It is so awesome down there, huh? Anyway... I was wondering if I could borrow that clip of the "Refugee Camp"
    Maybe you could email it to me. Let me know, ASAP. I am making a video of the trip we just took the week after you went. Thanks. Tim

    ReplyDelete