Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ode to Connie and Craig

This is Craig...



and this is Connie.



Connie and Craig are two of my favorite people. This blog is in honor of them not only for this reason, but because Connie passed away this week.

Kim and I go to visit Connie and Craig every Sunday afternoon at the Old Folks home in Springville. Connie and Craig have a slightly different story than most. They actually met, and got married, IN the Old Folks home. That's right... they didn't just check in together, they actually met there and decided to tie the knot right there in the front lobby, right near the cafeteria. Connie and Craig are special people. While they both had/have their ailments and troubles, they were always in high spirits and were so kind. Craig always insisted to be the gentleman. Every time we show up to visit, he would immediately stand and offer us his seat. His face always lights up when he sees us standing in the doorway. We are still trying to convince him that he needs to quit smoking. He tries to convince us though that God created Tobacco and it's good for him!

While Craig was content with smoking, eating and watching movies, Connie liked to spend her time a little differently. She liked to do the weekly craft and she liked to string beads and always had beautiful new jewelry to show us each week. To give Connie something to do, we gave her a pack of Uno cards. It was her favorite thing to do when we would come visit.

All of my grandparents have passed away and are gone. Connie and Craig are like surrogate grandparents of such... I am happy for Connie now that she is out of pain and in a better place, but it makes me sad for Craig. Kim and I stopped by to take some treats on Valentines Day and heard the bad news. Craig was still his cheery self and like clock-work, he jumped up to offer his seat. What a guy. What a gal. I feel honored to know them.

4 comments:

  1. I love old people, they are sooo cute. How sweet of you to go visit Connie and Craig. I'm sorry to hear about Connie. I'm sure she appreciated your friendship. I was a CNA for awhile at a retirement community. It was rewarding, but hard work...I made a lot of cute old friends though. And I loved to learn about thier lives and their legacies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess,

    What a cool story about Craig and Connie. That's pretty cool you and Kim still go there to visit folks.

    Your blog was fun to review. I liked the pics you had posted. What a great life you are living!

    Love,

    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where would one go about acquiring a hat similar to Craigs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always doing such fun things. I think I am living vicariously through your blog. Snowshoeing looks so fun!!

    ReplyDelete