Saturday, February 7, 2009

Who has ever heard of an indoor 5K?

I love to run races. However, sometimes the same old races, get exactly that... old. I like to try new and exciting races that somehow are distinguished among the throng of races available out there. So when my friend Nick sent me to the link for the UVU Indoor 5K, I just couldn't resist. I mean how can you pass up the chance to race inside... and not on an indoor track! Talk about new and exciting!

For those of you unfamiliar with UVU campus, it is built in a way that you can pretty much get to any building on campus without having to go outdoors, making an indoor 5K possible. We started in the Mckay events center, but made it into many buildings across campus, including the library! The best part was to watch the faces of those who didn't know about the event. There they are, unsuspectingly being dilligent students on a Saturday morning, studing at the library tables, to be interuppted by a throng of young to middle ages and old men and women come running by wth i-pod in hand.

The best part were the stairs. Yes, there were stairs and lots of them. However, I being on the younger side of some of the male runners around me, it was great to be able to take large strides and bound up and down the many flights. It was a great place to pass runners up. Talk about a runners high! :)

With this being the first year for this race, it was rather unorganized and a little confusing at times. However, for only $10 (which all went to Habitat for Humanity) I got a great t-shirt (both cute and good quality), a pancake breakfast and the chance to run through the halls of a university. It was exhilarating.

1 comment:

  1. I soo want to do that. How crazy!!! I myself have developed a love for racing. Did I tell you I'm running a lake to lake race in St.George in a team, and a half marathon in Moab end of March. I'm freakin out!

    ReplyDelete