Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day 5K's... yes, that is plural...

I signed up to do two different Memorial Day 5K's this past weekend. One race was Saturday morning and the other was Monday. I thought I was a little crazy at first, but both races turned out to be so much fun. In 5k #1, I was able to place second in my age category with a time of 24:19. I was a little disappointed at this because my goal was to break 24 minutes. Plus, I was on the tail of the girl who beat me the entire race... I should have tried harder to catch her...

I ran the first race with my friends Michael and Amanda.



Race #2 was my favorite. I ran with a number of my colleagues as well as some friends from my ward; Amanda again, Ryan and Justin. The race course had one pretty good hill, but the remainder was a lot of downhill, making for a pretty fast course. Lo and behold, the same girl who beat me on Saturday was there again. I was determined to beat her this time. I did not succeed however. She still beat me by about the same amount of time, but my overall time improved by about 40 seconds! This time around, I ran in 23:38. I broke 24 minutes and placed third in my age group. This time there were trophies. Ryan and Justin also received trophies for placing in their age category.

I also won a gift certificate for a free pair of running shoes up to $100! It was just a great race...

Here we are before it all began...


Some of my colleagues and their kids after the race...


Justin, Ryan and I with our winnings. It don't think it matters how old you are... there is something fun about winning a trophy!

5 comments:

  1. Jess that is so awesome! You not only run in 5k's but you actually do very very well in them too!! You rock girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an animal! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay you are my hero! Way to go. And $100?! You make me proud. BTW, I stopped at Orem High today (to see my stepson) and talked to Joe for a minute. Thought of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on beating your goal time! That is awesome and a bonus of a trophy and free shoes. Who can bet that! Wish I was around and I would race with you! :)
    Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are awesome. Can't wait to see the pics from Havasupai (Mike and I really want to make it up there).

    ReplyDelete